Dear Council Members:
Another budget cycle is upon the Town. This has got to be a very stressful time for each of you facing the task of trying to do as much as possible with dwindling funds and additional expenses.
The Voices of Cutler Bay have discussed at length the 2012/13 budget and new expenses that the Town faces.
The balloon payment that will be due in 2013 of an additional $702,913 for the Town Hall and land payment.
- The cost of paying the principal and interest for the bond providing for the payment to the Miami-Dade County Public School system to get a Cutler Bay High School.
- The maintenance of the new Lakes by the Bay Park estimated to be $250,000.00.
All of these items are tremendous enhancements to our community and we commend you for all the hard work you have done to bring these improvements to the Community.
Realizing the stress that you will face trying to “find” the money required to cover these expenses and maintain our standard of service. The members of VOICES would like to offer some cost savings and income generating ideas that should be addressed.
- Grant writers on staff
- A Cutler Bay Police force
- Staff “in-house” attorney(s)
- Working with department head to develop a plan that could move toward self supporting activities without additional taxes. Example PARKS (Town events that provide revenue)
- Weddings in the park.
- Renting park space for concerts.
- Fishing tournaments with some funds collected from admission
- fees going to prizes and the other to the town
- Other team sports. i.e.: paint ball
- Future sale of the Town Hall building with a lease back provision.
- Allowing a business to sponsor a park.
- Lowering the travel and expenses for the “general government” aka the manager.
- Students to get community service. (Employee savings)
- Review consultants fee vs.: staff cost.
VOICES would like to suggest that the Council appoint a “Budget & Finance Committee” of qualified professional s to investigate the ramifications and feasibility of the above suggestions and any other cost savings or income generating ideas and provide a complete report to the council prior to the budget cycle for 2013/2014.
Other Towns and cities have implemented this type of financial and budget advisory committees:
- City of Miami Beach
- City of Miami
- City of South Miami
One final thought might be that there are many qualified and experienced professionals in our Town, particularly in our retirement communities.
The VOICES of Cutler Bay.